We have earlier released a guide on How to use your Apple iPhone a as wireless Modem. Users can get the 3G experience when they club iphone with their pc or laptop. But things changed with the release of the 3.12 firmware for iphone. The guides around the net no longer can enable the tethering on iphone with 3.12 jailbreak firmware. There is a way to use iphone as modem.
MyWi a small application can help you make iphone work as modem for your pc / laptop. MyWi works for iPhone (2G,3G,3GS) and can enable tethering in iphone in a snap.
Features of MyWi
– Create WiFi Hotspot to connect multiple laptops or mobile devices to share your iPhone’s internet connection
– 40 bit and 104 bit WEP Security to prevent others from accessing your WiFi HotSpot
– Ability to enable USB and Bluetooth Tethering on your iPhone as well
– Uses less battery and much faster then PdaNet due to native routing
– Broadcasts the Network Name (SSID) – no need to fuss with creating an adhoc network on your laptop
– Enable iPhone USB/Bluetooth tethering – even on firmware 3.1!
– Shows up and down bandwidth usage
How To use iPhone 2G, 3G and 3GS running firmware 3.1.2 as Modem
Before proceeding with, you need to Jailbreak iPhone 3G/3GS 3.12 Firmware if you havent done that.
- Search for MyWi in Cydia application in your iPhone and install it. An application called RockApp will be installed automatically along with MyWi application. If it doesnt get installed automatically install it manually.
- Open up the RockApp and get you a free Rock ID.
- After Signing in with your RockApp id you will see a update to MyWi application. After installing the update restart your iPhone to complete the process successfully.
- Open up the MyWi application and turn on the option for USB/Bluetooth tethering (Seen as USB and Bluetooth under Tethering)
- Noe browse to Settings > General >Network >Internet and Turn on the Option for Internet Tethering
- You can see the instructions to connect internet on that windows itself. Thats it. You can now use your iPhone with 3.12 firmware as wireless modem.[Thanks RedmondPie]