Recently i was upgrading my brothers blog to the new wordpress version. Due to some write permissions in his ftp directory i normally update wordpesss manually for him. Every thing went fine till the last update before the wordpress 3.0 release. During this new release, i tried to upgrade to wordpress the normal way as i did before. But it started to give header not fund error and wp-db file error codes in line so and so. So, after trying some ways i were able to get it done properly. Here are the steps, i went through to upgrade to wordpress 3.0 manually.
- Backup the wordpress database first.
- Then i made a backup of .htaccess and wp-config files. Since i don’t use any other languages in wordpress i didn’t take the backup of the languages directory in wp-includes/languages/.
- Next i downloaded WordPress 3.0 and extracted all the files into my pc.
- With the exception of the wp-content folder, i replaced all the other files in the ftp directory with the extracted files including the wp-admin and wp-includes folder.
- Now login to the dashboard of your wordpress site.
- A screen asking you to upgrade the wordpress database will be shown.
- Click the upgrade WordPress Database Button and you will see the following image if successful.
- Now if you have any other languages install just replace them with the backup files took earlier.
- You are now on WordPress 3.0!
- Happy Blogging…
If you have any troubles upgrading to wordpress 3.0 manually you can post them in the comments, i will be happy to help you out.