In my pc i have two versions of google chrome installed, a normal version and the portable version. Most often i use the portable version of google chrome since its is easy to carry on my USB drive and i can use it any pc. But the only problem with the portable Google Chrome is that it does’t have the ability to update by itself. It gives the “update server not available error(1)” when i try to check for updates by taking the “About Google Chrome” Option. The new updates are very important to get new features and fixes. So here’s how i updated my version of Google Chrome Portable.
1) First download the Google Chrome Setup file. Usually when you download the setup file from google chrome’s website, the installation automatically begins, so we can’t get the set up file back. So download the latest google chrome version from softpedia. Just google “Google Chrome + Softpedia” or visit this page to directly get the individual setup file of latest google chrome build.
2) Now Right Click the Chrome Setup File and Choose Extract using any file compression tool like winrar or 7-zip.
3) Now Open the extracted folder and you will see another compressed rar file called chrome.rar. Extract that file too. Now open the extracted “Chrome” folder to see a folder called Chrome bin.
4) Now open the “Chromebin” folder and copy all the files.
5) Navigate to the Portable Chrome Folder, “GoogleChromePortableDevAppChrome-bin”. That was the folder in my case, but it might vary some times, so all you need to do is to find the “chrome-bin “ folder inside the portable chrome directory.
6) Paste and replace the files in this directory existing once windows asks.
7) Now just open your portable Google Chrome Browser and check the version and it will be updated!
If you have any problem updating portable google chrome version just comment on, i will help you.