If you’re in an environment where, you’d require to login to a pc multiple times during your work, it would be irksome for you to type long passwords every time. Though long alphanumeric passwords would ensure better security, it would certainly waste some time in the long run.
Rohos Logon Key is a free software that lets you assign a usb drive as a key for logging into your pc. This utility makes logging in / out process in windows snappier.
Using a USB drive to login to windows would also help you in situations where you require to provide a hardware based locking system or when you’d need to let some one else to use your pc while you are away and you dont want to let them know your windows password. This would be the case if you’ve used the same windows password for your other sensitive accounts you own both online / offline.
You would also have the option to manually login to windows by entering the user account password manually, while the software allows you to login via a usb drive.
Before using , it would be better to know the advantages of the software as this is some thing that concerns with the security of your pc.
Advantages of Rohos Logon Key
- The system would be protected even when windows is in safe mode
- You doesn’t require to remember the password. But it better to ensure that its written down some where in case if you encounter any issues with your usb drive
- The password is not stored in the usb drive in open form and is copy protected an encrypted using AES-256 bit key
- Supports Windows 8, 7, Vista, XP and Windows 2000
Setting up a USB Drive to Login to Windows
- After the installation, Run Rohos Logon Key to bring up its window. If you are using the free version of the software, you’d see Setup USB Key & Upgrade Now as the two options in the main window
- Click on Setup USB Keyto start he process
- You’d be prompted by the application to enter the windows user account password once. Keep an eye on the drive letter of the usb drive if you’ve multiple drives plugged on to your pc
- After entering your user account password, press Setup USB Key
- The application would assign the particular USB drive to be used as a login key to your system and would popup a message upon successful completion
- You may test it now by disconnecting the USB drive from your pc and pressing Windows key + L on your keyboard to lock your system and plug the usb drive again to affirm the login to your pc
Download Rohos Logon Key (2.18 MB)
Rohos Logon Key is available as free download, but it also offers a paid version which has advanced security features such as the secure two factor login, access restriction to pc based on USB key, Emergency logon to help you in case you lose access to the PIN code or your USB drive.