Most of us own a Pendrive / USB Flash drive. But have you ever thought how secure is that data stored on our USB Flash drive ? We might have private belongings in the drive which we don’t want others to gain access to. The Perfect solution to this is to password protect the pendrive . A small and sleek freeware utility will help you to password protect your pendrive and make it secure.
TrueCrypt is an excellent utility that can password protect a USB flash drive, your hard disk’s and other devices too. If you only need a small portion in your pendrive that needs to be encrypted, you can do that too with ease using TrueCrypt.
Here are the steps to Encrypt/ Password Protect your Flash Drives / Pendrives
- First Download the TrueCrypt utility from here.
- Install the TrueCrypt utility to the pendrive / flash drive. Better to install TrueCrypt on its own default folder in the pendrive / USB flash drive.
- Click the “Create Volume” button from its window. TrueCrypt will now TrueCrypt Volume Creation Wizard Window.
- Leave the First Option “ Create an encrypted file container “selected and click on Next.
- Here also leave the first option “ Standard TrueCrypt Volume “ selected and proceed to Next.
- In the next window press “ Select File “ and go to your pendrive’s / flash drive’s location. Enter a file name and click save. This file now created by TrueCrypt on your USB Flash Drive / Pendrive will be the store house of the files that we encrypt later. Click on Next.
- Under Encryption Algorithm leave it as AES on and select Whirlpool from Hash Algorithm and click Next.
- Now, Enter the space you need for keeping the encrypted files and click on next and enter a good password ad click on next.
- Click on “Format”.
- Now open TrueCrypt to select the are where the encrypted data needs to be mounted. Choose the “ Select Files ” option and now pick the encrypted file area in your USB Flash Drive / Pendrive and click Open .
- Choose an unused drive letter and press “Mount”. You will be now asked for the Password. Enter the correct Password and windows will mount you encrypted data in your USB Flash Drive / Pendrive to the selected drive letter.
- You must click on “ Dismount” before taking / plugging out the USB Flash Drive / Pendrive from your system.
That’s it ! You can now be confident about your private data in your USB Flash Drive / Pendrive .