The third party developers of Windows 8 are once again on the rampage with another exciting application : the first Codecs pack for Windows 8. Even though, Windows 8 comes up with Windows Media Player 12, but unfortunately it does not support all video formats by default. For example, it can play wmv videos directly, but fails to do the similar task with mkv files. Another deficiency in Windows 8 was the absence of start button, but it has been fixed now and you can check out the detailed guide here.
Windows 8 codec Pack is a concise yet comprehensive package. It will automatically remove other popular codecs from your computer before installing this. With the assistance of codecs pack, you won’t need to make any adjustments in your system in order to enjoy your media content immediately.
With Codec pack your Windows Media Player and Media Center will instantly recognize all your files as playable and instantly play the unsupported video formats.
Download link is provided at the bottom of this post, but be attentive while installing the Codec pack because if the installation dialog is not followed cautiously it will turn out to an undesirable ending.
After installing the windows 8 codec pack successfully, here comes the point where you will become capable to play a tons of video as well as audio formats including amr, mpc, ofr, divx, mka, ape, flac, evo, flv, m4b, mkv, ogg, ogv, ogm, rmvb, xvid and many more other video formats on default Windows Media Player.
A handful list of proficiencies of Windows 8 Codec Pack:
- Has Built-in update notification.
- Can create playlists.
- Allow use of the PDVD12 decoders for 32bit Live TV.
- Permits single-click operation for Bit streamed Audio.
- Displays colored thumbnails together with FLV’s and 10bit MKV’s
- Allow the Preview Pane for ALL newly supported file types.
- Supports the procedure of Xbox360 as Extenders to playback MKV files.
- Support playback of MOD audio files and M4A files containing ALAC.
- Users are capable of Enabling or Disabling codecs installed on their system.
- Has the built-in function to Tweak.
- Supports ‘Add to Windows Media Player List’ using right click on all files such as MKV.
Download Windows 8 Codec pack